Clinics & Services
We employ a fully-qualified nurse practitioner who will deal with minor illnesses and chronic disease management. Also employed is a team of experienced and fully-qualified nurses who will take care of chronic disease, ear syringing, routine injections and phlebotomy and who are happy to offer advice on various matters. Specifically, the practice nurses look after:
- Immunisation of children. The practice offers the full childhood immunisation schedule. Please bring your child and reminder letter to the surgery together with the child’s record book.
- Vaccinations for holidays and other overseas travel. Advising on the appropriate vaccinations for different countries can take some time, so please make an appointment with a nurse, and this should be at least eight weeks before you intend to travel.
- Cervical Smears. National guidelines recommend that all women between the ages of 25 and 65 years be called for cervical screening. Women between these ages will be recalled automatically. Please make an appointment with the nurse.
- Breast and testicular examination. The Practice nurses have a range of useful literature on self-examinations for both men and women and are able to give guidance and advice on these sensitive and sometimes difficult subjects.
- Stop smoking, weight loss, well person. The Practice nurses have a wide range of experience in giving individual counselling on lifestyle change and healthy lifestyle management. Please ask for an appointment.
We have asthma specialist nurses who see patients on a regular basis at both surgeries. If you need to see your doctor they can be consulted during normal surgery times. If you would like to discuss your asthma with the nurse you are welcome to make an appointment. Follow up appointments are with the asthma nurse.
Diabetic patients are seen on a regular basis at both surgeries. If you need to see your doctor they can be consulted during normal surgery times. If you would like to discuss your diabetes with a nurse you are welcome to make an appointment.
We also host clinics with the Diabetes Nurse Specialist at both surgeries: Monday morning clinic Millwood Surgery, Friday morning clinic Falkland Surgery
We work in conjunction with the James Paget Hospital to provide your ante-natal care. Both surgeries offer ante-natal clinics run by a community midwife: Wednesday clinic Falkland, Thursday clinic Millwood
Advice on all contraceptive services is available and most services are offered. Even if you only wish to discuss the matter, the doctors or nurses are happy to help you.
Various minor procedures, including cryosurgery, are carried out at the discretion of individual doctors.
Child health surveillance
Monitoring your child’s development is available for children under five whose parents have given written consent. It is done by the doctors in conjunction with the Health Visitor at various stages.
Venepuncture (blood) clinics are available mornings only at both surgeries.
Clinics with a trained Smoking Cessation Adviser are held: Tuesday morning clinic Falkland Surgery, Tuesday afternoon clinic Millwood Surgery
Carer Support Worker
Monday clinic (fortnightly) Millwood Surgery
Our Physiotherapist is on site weekly to see patients with a range of musculo-skeletal conditions: Thursday afternoon clinic Millwood Surgery